Ashley Wylde created the Gender Tag project and because June was Pride month, I was given the opportunity to go behind the scenes of San Francisco's Pride Parade to collaborate with some members for the Gender Tag!
My personal answers are below:
1. How do you self-identify your gender, and what does that definition mean to you?
I identify as female, which means I associate myself with the gender I was assigned at birth
2. What pronouns honor you?
3. Describe the style of clothing that you most often wear.
Technically I've had dress codes at previous work places, so I always dress business “casual”. However when I get to style myself as I wish, it tends to be skirts, plaid, and flashier items.
4. Talk about your choices with body hair. How do you style your hair? Do you have facial hair? What do you choose to shave, or choose not to shave?
Obviously, I dye my hair- it took me about 4yrs to figure out the right brand of purple and pink that work for me. I have very flat hair and I don't perm or straighten it cause it would damage my already damaged hair. I don't have facial hair and the only thing I shave is my armpits. My arms and legs are pretty much hairless cause I’m so dry that no hair can grow.
5. Talk about cosmetics. Do you choose to wear makeup? Do you paint your nails? What types of soaps and perfumes do you use if any?
Now I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with makeup as an object. So I wear makeup when I go on camera, when I go onstage, or for photoshoot. Otherwise, I’m simply too lazy to wear makeup anywhere else
7. Do you experience dysphoria? How does that affect you?
So that you know, in the simplest of terms, gender dysphoria is “the condition of feeling one's emotional and psychological identity as male or female to be opposite to one's biological sex”. Even when I crossplay, I’ve always been very comfortable being female.
6. Have you experienced being misgendered? If so, how often?
No. However a transgender coworker asked if I was male because of a social media profile picture.
8. Talk about children. Are you interested in having children? Would you want to carry a child if that were an option for you? Do you want to be the primary caretaker for any children you may have?
For all of these questions- I'm simply not ready, will never be ready, and not on plan to be ready to have children.
9. Talk about money. Is it important to you to provide for a family financially if you choose to have one? Is it important to you that you earn more than any partner you may have? Do you prefer to pay for things like dates? Are you uncomfortable when others pay for you or offer to pay for you?
The easiest question here is that I prefer for others to pay for dates or me. But that’s because currently, I’m kinda broke and saving money no matter how shameless is okay with me. However, once I have a stable enough income, I think I would be okay paying for dates and stuff. I’m way too young to think about the other questions.
10. Anything else you want to share about your experience with gender?
I want to tag everyone whose watching or reading, and most of all: Jace (JGP Productions), Iris (Empire Dance), and Kevin.